Back to School: Apprehension & Anticipation

Today marks the start of the another school year at Simmons. For me, it is the start of the in-between year as the dual-degree program is three years. For many of my friends in the single-degree program, today is the beginning of the end as they will graduate in the spring.

I will use this year of transition to focus on the topic for my history thesis, to become more intentional with my “yes-es” to opportunities that align with my professional goals, to better articulate my professional goals. Already I’m thinking about how best to use the upcoming summer – an LIS course? an internship in a new city? researching abroad for my thesis? volunteering at the National Book Festival in D.C.?

Single-degree students face a different set of tasks and questions. Their year is one of job applications and savoring grad student life, of apprehension at the application-interview cycle, of anticipation of fulfilling professional careers and proper paychecks.

We are each in different places on the apprehension-anticipation spectrum, but we all share one common joy – the opening of the new Beatley Library. Gleaming study rooms, cozy wingback chairs, and inviting open stacks beckon us all, the formerly-library-less-librarians, back into its warm embrace. Finally, we have a place to gather, to study, to soothe our souls. So no matter where you find yourself today on the apprehension-anticipation spectrum, may the library serve as a place of comfort for you in this new school year!