Summertime Gladness

So lately I’ve been blogging about jobs and work and all things professional. A lot of this is because I finally feel like I know what I’m doing to a certain extent. Yay for me, but let’s talk about something more interesting, namely how many more opportunities there are for fun and socializing during the break between the summer and spring semesters (and any of the semesters). This is when SLIS students have more time to spend with their friends to hang out, have get-togethers, see the sights, etc.

I’m especially grateful for the time I have now to finally grab a drink or get a cup of coffee with friends I haven’t seen in months. Before, maybe we’d grab a quick coffee at school and use that time to talk about how we were too busy to get a simple cup of coffee. Now we can talk about anything really. We can even have TWO cups of coffee. Whoa, right? Talk about living it up.

I had a very enjoyable Saturday last week in particular, when my friend Sara had a get-together because all of her roommates moved out and she had her apartment to herself.  Naturally, this was the perfect opportunity to play Cards Against Humanity and have tasty food and drink. Sara made amazing lasagna and some punch that packed a lot of punch, among other delicious things. I brought dessert, and even though the temperate outside is 45 degrees now, it was in the high 80s only a few days ago when this all went down. I didn’t feel like turning on the oven, so I went for a no-bake recipe for monster cookie dough dip. Sara took the leftovers because I couldn’t stop eating it. I think the dip I showed up with contained less than 50% of the original recipe yield, because I kept taking about 10 spoonfuls at a time at embarrassingly short intervals for several hours before I arrived.

IMG_1072.JPGVoila!  Monster Edible Cookie Dough Dip

So like I said, the recipe was no bake. Only a few days before I prepared it, I was on the phone with my dad passive aggressively complaining about how hot it was outside (and inside). He asked about my air conditioner, and then I laughed out loud and told him we didn’t have one. This is normal in New England, but to my dad, who lives in South Florida (which wasn’t even habitable until central AC was invented and the Flagger railroad could transport it), this was like saying I didn’t have running water or electricity. He acted like I was living in third world conditions. Now I understand how ignorant and dramatic that sounds, but I just roll with these kinds of comments. There is no point in arguing.  But I guess there was a point in being vociferous, because two days later a “free” mini AC unit arrived on my doorstep from Amazon.com. Since I barely slept more than five hours a night last summer because of the gross heat that felt like I was walking around in someone’s mouth, I gratefully accepted. I’m not too proud for that! Not in the least.