Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Even though I’ve been living in Boston for almost a year now, I have yet experience and do many things that are quintessentially “Boston”, which is to say touristy in the best possible way. So I have made a list of things that I want to do this summer, including walking the Freedom Trail, taking a Duck Tour, walking around the Public Garden, and going to the North End for Italian food. 

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to start crossing off things on my list early by going to a Red Sox game. I went with my boyfriend and his friends to a night game at Fenway Park where we drank and ate overpriced park food and beverages, sang along to “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”, watched a proposal on the JumboTron, bopped around in our seats to cheesy walk-up songs, and saw the Green Monster/Monstah (the legendary left field wall) in person.

Attending classes at the main campus means that I’m constantly in the heart of the Fenway, just blocks from the stadium. While I’m often to exposed things like pedestrian-packed streets, overcrowded public transit, and street vendors on game days, this was the first time that I felt like I was part of a time-honored Boston tradition. People of the city have been attending baseball games and other events at the park by the thousands for over 100 years. And now that I’ve been, I can’t wait to go back. I’ll probably take advantage of the discounted tickets available at the Simmons Student Box Office next time, which is a nice perk.

20150429_201525.jpg

Toronto Blue Jays vs. Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on 04/29/2015. Photo courtesy of Wesley Fiorentino, all rights reserved 2015.