Summer Reading Recommendations

Whether it’s laying out a towel at the beach or setting up a hammock at the park, there’s nothing better than reading a book on a beautiful summer day. Even though I’ll be taking a Summer Semester class for part of it, nothing and no one can keep me from getting an iced coffee and reading in the sun! Here are some of the books on my list to finish this summer:

Fantasy

The Dreamblood Duology by N.K. Jemisin

N.K. Jemisin has been one of my favorite authors since my mind was blown by The Fifth Season several years back. I’ve now finished two of her fantasy series, and I think it’s time to tackle another. In this duology, priests of the dream goddess roam rooftops to collect the magic of sleeping minds, until one priest becomes entangled in a murderous conspiracy. World building? Check. Magic? Check. Conspiracy? Murder? I’m in. 

Science Fiction

The Vanished Birds by Simon Jiminez

I picked up a copy of this book in the used section of Harvard Book Store, in part because it had such a beautiful cover. This space opera follows a woman traveling through space outside the boundaries of time, when one day a mysterious boy drops out of the sky. It’s about the family they find in each other even as their pasts catch up to them. This seems like a highly original, thought-provoking book that I can’t wait to read from a hammock.

Literary Fiction

Piglet by Lottie Hazell

I’ve heard a lot of hype about this book, primarily the fact that it includes legendary and delectable descriptions of food. The premise is that, two weeks before the protagonist is set to marry her fiance, he confesses a huge betrayal. Even though they decide to go ahead with the wedding, Piglet is suddenly ravenous, and by her wedding day, she is completely undone. I really love 1. a feminist critique and 2. a descent into madness, and this seems like it’ll fulfill both of those!

Romance

Funny Story by Emily Henry

Hello, yes, time is measured in Emily Henry releases and another year has come to pass. I’m not a huge romance reader, but something about Emily Henry’s characters just feel so real. I’ve loved every one of her books! I’m extra excited about this one because the main protagonist is a children’s librarian, which should be fun to read about as a librarian-in-training!

Poetry

Devotions by Mary Oliver

I recently came across Mary Oliver’s famous poem “Wild Geese” for the very first time, and now I can’t stop seeking out her poems. If you read my previous blog post here you know how important green space is to me, and Mary Oliver has a way of bringing nature to her reader on every page. So, I would love to pick up one of her poetry anthologies like Devotions to read while the leaves come back to the trees!

Nonfiction

Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton

I have seen this book everywhere, and I think it’s time that I read it myself. It’s a memoir that is supposed to be absolutely hilarious, while also tackling the struggles of early adulthood and finding your people. Sometimes you need a good summer read that’s on the lighter side, but I have a feeling that this one will still pack an existential punch. 

Graphic Novels/Comics

Invincible by Robert Kirkman

After two absolutely insane seasons of animated superhero television, I need to know what happens next in Invincible, and the best way to do that is to go back to the source. So if you see someone flipping through three ridiculously large compendiums of Invincible comics on the green line, that would be me. 

As we approach the light at the end of the tunnel this semester, I hope we’re all able to carve out the time this summer to dig into some good reads. I hope my very varied list gave you some ideas for yours!