Having Fun During Finals

All throughout the semester I try to make sure there is time for hobbies and other enjoyable activities and finals is no exception. For myself, that means getting to coach and play ultimate frisbee! This spring Boston has had decent weather so I’ve been able to coach my kids every weekend, play in a weeknight hat league, and attended my alma mater’s annual fundraiser tournament. Ultimate frisbee was a huge part of my undergraduate experience and I didn’t want to quit the sport just because I had graduated. I

think part of getting through grad school is finding ways to adapt your hobbies in order to have them fit into a new schedule that prioritizes the increased demands in course work and job responsibilities. I don’t have time to be gone for weekend long tournaments most weekends anymore, let alone the regular two hour-long practices three times per week. However, a once or twice a week hour-long commitment is something I can do. It is a great way to exercise, connect socially outside of Simmons, and see more of the Boston area by traveling to different fields. Additionally, in the case of coaching, I’m able to give back to a community that has brought me so much joy.

Whether it’s your first semester, you’re in the middle of your program, or you’re in the home stretch of your degree, make some time for something you love to do during this finals week.