In Search of Green Spaces

I’m from a town in Wisconsin where open farm fields and forests are less than a 20 minute drive in any direction. When I moved to Boston, a big part of my initial culture shock was the lack of nature. But I’ve lived here for almost 2 years now, and after some searching and exploring, I’ve found a couple of good spots to touch grass, sit under a tree, or get out in the wilderness. 

The most central place in all of Boston to sit in the shade of a tree is the Boston Common and Public Gardens. The first time I went, I started by walking through the willow trees in the gardens, crossing the foot bridge and looking out at the pond, where a few ducks swam past. Since then I’ve visited an art exhibition, walked around the Central Burying Ground trying to find the oldest dates, and got rained out at the 2023 Pride Festival. The Common is a great gathering place and easy to get to, but it’s not the first place I think of for somewhere peaceful. 

For that, I usually travel a bit further. The Arboretum is the closest place to Boston that makes me forget that I’m in a city. I’ve loved walking into the shady heart of the park and finding a quiet spot to relax. One time, I stumbled across the Explorers Garden which is home to a collection of rare plants. This includes the Franklin Tree, a species that’s extinct in the wild. The only thing to keep in mind with the Arboretum is that it’s great for a walk, but not for a picnic; anything that might cause harm to the plants and their root systems is prohibited.

Sometimes in Boston we forget that we live right next door to the ocean, so lately I’ve been trying to find some good beaches. Last summer, I took a trip on the Blue Line with some friends to Revere Beach. We played volleyball, swam, laid in the sand, and got ice cream and pizza nearby. It was crowded and busy, but the beach spans a huge stretch of sand and there’s plenty to share. I’ve also visited Revere Beach in the winter, and found that I basically had the whole place to myself to enjoy, though it was a bit too cold to dip my toes in.

Crane Beach is another great spot, and only about an hour’s drive away from Boston. I recently went on a gloomy winter day and walked along the beach while people on horseback passed by. Afterward I enjoyed a short hike through the sand dunes. And I plan to go back soon– apparently a shipwreck just washed up on the shore! 

For good hiking spots, there are two great places just outside of Boston. When I first moved here, I did the Skyline Trail at Blue Hills Reservation. Not expecting the rocky New England terrain, all the ups and downs destroyed me, but the view of the Boston skyline was worth it. Later I found the Rock Circuit Trail at Middlesex Fells Reservation, which also has a great view of Boston. Whenever I need a moment in nature, with no traffic sounds, that’s not too busy, Middlesex Fells is my go-to.

I would be lying if I said I don’t still struggle with the lack of nature in Boston. Boston is a place of concrete and buildings and honking cars, and anywhere that is truly wild and quiet usually requires a journey on the highway to get to. But, for a metropolitan goliath, there are green – and blue – spaces to be found if you look for them.