Fighting the Mid-Semester Blues with a Little Green

This Friday is St. Patrick’s Day, a big holiday here in Boston. I’ve lived my whole life in New England, so it’s always been an interesting day for me, but this year I have met a few out-of-town friends through Simmons who are excited about their first St. Patty’s. On the one hand, I’ve got archival subject headings to identify and a Civil War literature review to write, but on the other, I’ve got corn beef hash and brown bread to eat. 

School’s important and staying on top of assignments and readings is essential. However, I just want to encourage my fellow SLIS students to remember to enjoy the now. I know that sounds a little silly, but we only have so long here at Simmons and many of us will leave this school and this city within a few years. Beyond that, I think it’s good to take a step back and plan some time for yourself. This time of year a lot of us fall into a sort of slump. I’ve seen a few other contributors talking about their midsemester blues. That’s exactly the reason I think this time of year is perfect for focusing on little things to get your spirits up. 

So, this is my call to make some time in the near future for something fun. It doesn’t have to be St. Patrick’s Day, although I would still recommend you have something good to eat and maybe a green beer. You could plan a themed movie night or a game night with your friends. You could go out to a fancy brunch or stay in and try a new video game. The one thing that you need to do is make it a big deal. Make it something to look forward to and something worth doing. Make homemade decorations out of construction paper and bake a special treat for it. 

I for one am planning to spend Friday with my friends making some decorations and food. I have a lot of assignments due, but I’m determined to take a day and just enjoy myself. I hope everyone else finds some time to just relax and be a little silly. March doesn’t have to be all mid-semester burnout. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!