Welcome Emma!

We are adding another blogger to the mix. Everyone say hello to Emma!

Emma and Pheebs

Hello friends! My name is Emma Hayden and I started my second semester as a dual
History and Library & Information Science student at Simmons in January.

I attended Cal Poly San Luis Obispo where I got a degree in History with a minor in Religious Studies.

I just moved to the Boston area in the fall from Southern California with my cat Phoebe. Phoebe (also
known as Pheebs) loves going on walks around Boston in her backpack! I have taken her with
me on many adventures but I think our favorite spot so far is Fenway Park or the Boston Public
Garden. In my spare time I enjoy reading romance books, crocheting, and line dancing!
I am new to the SLIS program, however I have really enjoyed the classes I have taken so far
and am looking forward to my classes this semester. Last semester I got my first taste of basic
coding and markup languages in LIS 488: Technology for Information Professionals, which was
a lot more fun than I had anticipated. I ended up using basic HTML and CSS to create a
personal webpage that is a living version of my resume! This semester I am taking some very
interesting courses like a history seminar called Decolonizing the Archive. I am also taking LIS
438: Introduction to Archival Theory and Practice, which is a requirement for the archives
concentration. I am looking forward to learning more about working in archives and getting
actual experience with a collection!

I can’t wait to share my adventures in Boston with everyone!!