It’s Registration Day!

It’s hard to comprehend just how fast this Fall semester has flown by. I know we aren’t done just yet, but the discussions in my classes are slowly starting to involve final projects and the inevitable last day of the semester. While it’s exciting to be considering classes for next semester, I am going to miss my current schedule that I have become quite used to. Maybe it’s the first semester nostalgia already kicking in before I have completed it…who knows? The exciting thing about a conclusion to the semester is that I get to consider what classes I would like to take next semester, which has always been one of my favorite things to sit down and plan. Even in my undergraduate schooling, I would always get excited when the next semester catalog was released, and I could peruse the offerings to see what might interest me.

One of the things that makes this experience especially fun at SLIS is that my program is mostly made up of elective courses, so I really get to customize my graduate school experience and take courses that excite me and are applicable to the different types of librarianship that I’m interested in. I’m currently taking two of the core courses in the program, LIS 407 (Information Sources and Services) and LIS 488 (Technology for Information Professionals). With the spring semester, I’m hoping to finish up the core courses section of my program by taking LIS 415 (Information Organization) and then at least one elective course, which I’m still debating exactly what I want to take as there are quite a few that I’m interested in.

I’m hoping to keep the nice balance I had this semester with one in person class and one online class. I’ve really enjoyed getting to safely be in person and learn in a small classroom environment in my LIS 407 class on Saturday mornings. It’s a small group of 7 of us, which has made for some great debates and discussions throughout the semester! My potential elective choices for next semester vary from LIS 438 (Introduction to Archival Theory and Practice) to LIS 490 (International and Comparative Librarianship). I’ll have to report back with what I end up registering for!

As I was writing this blog entry, a fun idea popped into my head about closing out each entry I write by sharing a quote that has been on my mind each week, whether from a song, a book, or somewhere else. I’ll share one I’ve been thinking of often lately, as the months get colder, the sun sets earlier, it rains just a little bit more, and life in a pandemic is still just a little unsure:

“오늘도 비가 내릴 것 같아 / 흠뻑 젖어버렸네 / 아직도 멈추질 않아 / 저 먹구름보다 빨리 달려가 / 그럼 될 줄 알았는데 / 나 겨우 사람인가 봐…” which translates to “It looks like it’ll rain today as well / I’m completely soaked / It’s still not stopping / I run faster than those dark clouds / I thought that’d make it alright / But, it turns out I’m just a mere human…” from “Life Goes On,” BTS. (trans. credit to Doolset Bangtan).