A Three-Part Guide to Daylight Savings

On Monday evening, or really what I would call at most late afternoon, I sat at my desk in my office building watching the sun go down. Spring forward and fall back, daylight saving time has come to an end here in the United States.

I know that I am somewhat alone in loving winter. Five lake-effect snow laden years living in Central New York will do that to a girl. But, even I felt the spike of dread at watching the sky darken at an early 4:30pm. I know that a lot of Simmons students aren’t from New England, myself included. Winter here is not the same dusting of snow that shuts down major Southern cities. Before we also start to resign ourselves to hibernation until Spring, I thought I would share my plan to make our long, cold nights a little less daunting. Maybe these three tips will make you winter people yet. We are always looking for converts!

Step 1: Read. I know. I know. We are all here in the Library Science program because presumably we know the value of a good book. But I am not talking about the reading done for light enjoyment. Put away the acclaimed novels about the twenty-somethings grappling their way through university. Put down the thriller and the fluffy romance. I even want you to save that sci-fi for next year. All that metal and dystopia is not going to keep you warm. You need to pick up a fantasy novel, preferably the thickest you can find. You want the kind of book with forests hiding dragons and adventurers wearing fur cloaks that go to find them. I suggest Uprooted by Naomi Novik or else something you read at age twelve sitting on the carpet of your school’s library.

Step 2: Eat. Or really, eat and be merry. Remember those fantasy novels I was talking about? Think about how the food always sounds so good in those, with the feast of bread and stews and cheeses ready for the hero at the end of their long journey. If you are a home chef, focus on the soups and root vegetable options. They take a while to cook, so you’ll get the added benefit of a warm kitchen. Make your way through an entire cookbook over the next couple of months. It’ll be an excuse to share with friends and family, so you avoid that temptation of isolation. If you aren’t a home chef, then you are very lucky to live in a city like Boston. New food options are around every corner, friend. And, most come with the added pleasure of a warm drink.

Step 3: Walk. This step is controversial. It will be cold. Some of you might already think it is cold. I implore you to bundle up and get outside anyway. I would argue that there is nothing better than a city in winter. During the day, what little sunshine we have (making it all the more precious), we still have the hard blue sky. At night, coming ever earlier, we have the warm, many-colored glow of apartment building windows. Grab some mittens (not gloves), a hat, and pick an album you forgot about. Walk around your neighborhood or another in Boston while the whole album plays through. Winter can be a sad time and a S.A.D time, and this can help. Just don’t bring those Bluetooth connected headphones. The cold drains the battery, and those old wired options will serve you much better.