Spring Courses!

It may be the end of October, but I’m already thinking about January because the Spring 2021 course list is out!  And thus beings my analysis (or over analysis, because I’ll be honest, it could be either one) of all the course listings.  First off, LIS 458, Intro to Database Management is indeed being offered online.  I’m still undecided about whether I want to give it another chance.  I’m leaning towards not taking it, because I don’t think I’m a database person, and because there are a few other options that I think I would enjoy more.  

There are two classes about digital objects: LIS 448, Digital Stewardship, and LIS 447, Digital Asset Management.  I’m not exactly certain what the difference between the two is but they are both taught by the same professor, and I’ll probably send him an email asking for more explanation.  I am interested in finding out more about how to manage digital collections, because I took LIS 462, Digital Libraries, last year and really enjoyed it.  But that was about creating a digital library, not about managing or maintaining one, and I know that these require a different skill set that might be covered by one of these classes.  There’s also LIS 481, Library Collections and Materials for Children.  I’m already taking the Young Adult equivalent of this class and love it, and the children’s class is taught by the same professor, too.  It would be nice to get a deeper dive into children’s books, especially since it’s been a long time since I’ve read them myself.  These are the classes I’m most interested in now, but I know I always go back and forth between classes right up until the first day, so it will probably be a while until I make the final decision.  It’s still fun to think about, though!