Virtual Interviewing 101

When I was asked to write a blog post about interviewing, I scratched my head for about a week. What should I write about interviewing? I told my roommate, I’m no expert on this topic!

However, after thinking about it for a few days I realized I do have some experience to share with all of you. I’ve interviewed for different things my fair share of times. I’ve also attended and sat in on presentations, webinars, and symposiums that covered this topic.

Here, I’ve compiled some tips and tricks I’ve picked up along the way. I hope they are as useful to you as they have been to me!

1. Go through the job posting before hopping on the call so you’ll be prepared for questions.
  2. Always have an answer to the age old question: WHY ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION?
  3. Outside noises will be inevitable, but try to find a spot where noises will be minimal.
  4. Mind your background (or choose an appropriate Zoom background).
  5. Wear something that makes you feel “on”. For me, it’s a blazer with nice jeans. 
  6. Have everything you need in front of you.
    • A nice “hack” is to write everything on post it notes and stick them around your monitor so you’ll always be facing your interviewers instead of looking down.
  7. Tape something on top of your laptop for optimal eye contact.
  8. Have questions prepared for the committee.
    • A former supervisor advised me to3 keep questions between 4-6 in order to let them know that you’re interested in the position/institution, but not look like you didn’t do your homework on them.
  9. Hydrate!
  10. Send a thank you email a few hours after the interview.
    • I’ve received further communication on the position every time I’ve sent a thank you email. The times I’ve forgotten, I never heard back.

A key takeaway I’ve consistently been told is to be confident in yourself! If they invited you for an interview it’s because they like you. Being nervous is natural, but do not let your nerves negatively influence you by making you doubt yourself or your capabilities. 

You’ve got this!