Ready to Go!

It was nice to have a few weeks off but I’m ready for classes to start again.  2020 is going to be an important year for me.  Not only is it a big birthday year (I’m entering a new decade!), but it’s the year I’ll be graduating.  Since I have a lot to do between now and the end of the year, I started browsing the Simmons Career Education Center website to see if it offered anything to help me through the process.  It turns out that the CEC offers a lot of services to students and alumni.  I was a little overwhelmed by all the options, to be honest, but I found two things that seem especially useful: the resume review service and the career fairs.  I could use some feedback on my resume.  I am not sure it’s as strong as it could be, so I’m going to make an appointment to have someone from Simmons review it.

This will be especially important because I’m planning on attending at least one of the career fairs that Simmons will be offering in February, March, and April.  I don’t think I can make it to all three, but I’m going to try.  It’s never too early to start thinking about job opportunities and making connections.  It’s good to practice talking to employers about who I am and what I am looking for in a library job.  Plus, I get to hand out my business cards along with my updated resume.  All Simmons SLIS students can order business cards through our Student Services office , and I ordered mine last year when I started classes.  I think they will come in handy at the career fairs.

While I’m happy to have a plan for the coming months, I’m also happy to focus on the present.  Classes start this week and I am excited.  I switched from Information for Diverse Users to Collections Development and Management because I thought it would be useful to learn about that aspect of library work.  For this class, each student gets to pick a library to focus on for assignments throughout the semester.  This allows us to get an in-depth view of how the collections process works.  I also finally get to take the Metadata class.  I’ve wanted to take it for a while, but I couldn’t fit it in my schedule until now.  Overall, I think this should be a very productive and enlightening semester.