Fourth Class: Complete!

Last week was my final week of class!  My fourth semester, and fourth class of grad school is over!  I’m done with LIS 451: Academic Libraries!   I originally thought it was a bit strange having our big final group project due, and then having one final week of class with lectures, readings, and participation after that, but as our final week was about academic library careers and job interviews, as well as future trends in academic libraries, I think it was a nice way to wrap up the class.  In all of my other classes, the final week has been this big stressful build up, and then I turn in my final project, and then that’s it, we’re done.  While sometimes that’s very cathartic, I really appreciated the opportunity to reflect and think ahead in the final week of this class. 

I ended up completing my final week of class on the road because I’m currently on a short summer break for my job!  Yay for intersessions!  As I work in an academic library, I’m following their university’s schedule, and they had a three-week break, so I went to Iowa to visit some of my extended family during my time off.  This is one of the nice things about online classes–as long as you have access to Wi-Fi, you can take the class with you wherever you go. 

My next class (LIS 404: Principles of Management) is due to start up in mid-June, and I’m excited for the short break from school.  Even though I loved my class this semester, and I love my job, between work, school, and my personal life, this past semester was a bit stressful.  Getting that school-work-life balance right is a tricky thing, and these short breaks away from school and work really help me unwind a bit. 

During my short break from school, I plan on catching up on my reading.  I always try and do some non-school related reading throughout the semester, but towards the end, I always end up abandoning it in favor of my schoolwork.  Here’s what’s on my reading list for the break:

• Where’d You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple
  • The Library Book by Susan Orlean
  • Shakespeare and Company, Paris: A History of the Rag & Bone Shop of the Heart edited by Krista Halverson