Crunch Time!

It’s almost the end of the semester and I can’t believe it.  Where did the time go?  I am really looking forward to having a break, but I still have a lot of work to do before I can relax.  I have two big projects due the last week of classes: a group project for my info organization class, and an individual project for my tech class.     

My goal is to complete the tech project early, partly because I want to use the last week to focus on finishing up my group project, and partly because I just plain want to get it done!  Our assignment is to create a personal website for prospective employers.  It’s a really great project because it requires us to use and showcase all the skills we’ve learned in class this semester.  I have learned so much this semester, and I am definitely using everything I’ve learned, and more.

Right now, I have the formatting all set up, and I just need to play around with the wording a bit.  The formatting was the hardest part to complete and I am thrilled that that part is done. The reason it was so difficult was because I started completely from scratch and therefore had to make decisions about every little thing from font size and style, image and navigation bar placement, and everything else in between.  Before taking this class, I really didn’t think about how websites were made or structured but now I do.  Website construction is part tech, part art, and very time consuming.  I cannot stress that enough.  It is very time consuming.   I have already spent many hours playing around with formatting.  I’ve learned through trial and error that even the smallest elements can affect the look of other elements, and maintaining a good balance can be a challenge.  I really wanted to use a textured, wood-like background, but no matter how many pictures I used, I found it distracted from the text.  And the fancier, prettier text I wanted to use simply didn’t look right.  I finally settled on a neutral background with a plainer font.  It looks clean, simple, and modern.  I love it, and I am really proud of what I’ve created.  I never in a million years thought I would make any type of website, but here I am, almost done with one.  In the next few days, I will firm up the text, add a few more images, and then (deep breaths) submit it.   Then I’ll focus on my other work.