My view from the trenches

It’s Thursday morning as I write this, with only 2 more days until The Last Day!! It’s a mental game now, a test of endurance. Can you stay calm and resolved as the deadline marches closer, the nights get later, your freedom so close you can taste it?

I was reminded again about the importance of self-care. Self-care is such a trendy word these days that I cringe to even use it, but here we are. I thought I could get through the week denying myself those little niceties that make you feel like a fully-functioning human being, like showers, exercise, sleep, good meals and leisure time. Those things are all so time-consuming and I thought I’d be better served spending every last minute I could scrape together on my assignments. Well yesterday I could feel myself beginning to crash. My motivation slumped, my body began to protest, and my mind wavered. After scaring my husband with a bunch of desperate-sounding texts, I switched tactics. I did the dishes and the laundry, exercised, and later had a pampering soak in a hot bath. It was like a little mini-break and I felt like a whole new person afterwards. Don’t neglect yourself, even (especially) during finals week!

Anyway, here’s a glimpse of my cheery little work station. Note the Christmas tree, steaming mug of peppermint bark tea, and the pine scented candle. This is my set-up while the kids are at school and let me tell you, these few hours of solitude are precious. I’ve got to get back to work now, so good luck to all of us in the trenches! See you on the other side.

Ondriceck_xmas_view.jpg