Halfway There!

Well, we’ve just about reached the halfway point in the semester!  My fall class has certainly been keeping me busy.  As I’ve said in previous posts, I’m taking LIS 488 (Technology for Information Professionals) this fall, and I’m taking it online.  The last time I talked in detail about the class on this blog, it was still the beginning of the class, so we hadn’t really taken a deep dive into anything too computer-y.  I thought I’d give you a quick update on how things are going since then as we have now reached the halfway point.  I have learned how to code.  I mean, I am still a beginner, but we’ve gone through units on HTML and CSS, and we’re starting JavaScript this week.  The random strings of numbers and letters that make up the backbones of webpages actually means something to me now.  As you may recall from previous posts, this was one of the things that made me nervous about taking this course.  My mindset going in to this class was that it would be good for me personally and professionally, but internally I was panicking a bit; however, now that I’m halfway through the class, that panic has died down a little.  If you had told me two years ago that I would be taking any sort of class that involved coding or programming of any kind, and that I would be succeeding at it I would have thought that you were out of your mind.   While this class is a lot of work, and it is introducing a lot of new concepts, I’m really grateful that LIS 488 is a required course at SLIS because otherwise I never would have taken this class.  IT as an overall concept was very intimidating to me before I started LIS 488.  This class has given me experience in something that I had never experienced before, and that I wouldn’t have ever tried had this class not been required.  As we’re only halfway through the semester, there is still a lot of work to be done, material to be learned, and more projects to be completed.  I’ll keep you updated on my progress!