Reading Deprivation

I’m flipping the script in today’s post, meaning I plan to tell you about what I haven’t been reading instead of what I have, or rather, why I am not reading at the moment. I’m participating in an experiment this week called “reading deprivation” as a part of this Artist’s Way book I’m working through. If you think that sounds impossible and a bit insane, then I would have to agree with you. Do you know how difficult it is not to read something, or anything at all on a given day? It takes a real concentrated effort, and maybe a blindfold too. The tool is meant to “monitor the inflow and keep it to a minimum,” according to author Julia Cameron, that way you’re able to tune into your inner voice more clearly and hopefully be rewarded with more outflow. And while it’s true that I’ve seen my writing increase, I’ve also gotten petty and annoyed about the whole idea. What about my work emails? My text messages? Those quotable images that I love so much on Pinterest and Instagram? And that book I have to finish for book club by next week? Where do I draw the line? I’m not sure, but at this point, I’m setting aside my novels and avoiding Internet articles and calling it good.

So what have I been doing in lieu of reading, you wonder? Let’s see here…

• On Monday I wandered through South End before joining my roommate to see Evan Greer and Kimya Dawson perform at Make Shift. They were incredible, by the way.
  • I have more time for yoga and long walks. Three cheers for being healthy!
  • If I’m honest, I’ve been watching more TV, which isn’t the point of the exercise at all. Oops. It’s just so easy, you know? I started Sharp Objects, which premiered on HBO last weekend. It’s based on Gillian Flynn’s novel of the same name, so I still seem to be getting a book vicariously through the screen.
  • I’m taking a day trip to Portsmouth, NH tomorrow. I thought it would be nice to go somewhere new, and I’m looking forward to checking out the scenery at the Urban Forestry Center and Great Island Common. I also hope to stop by their Athenaeum, and maybe pick up some tacos at Dos Amigos Burritos for dinner on my way back.

While reading deprivation is proving to be an interesting sort of challenge, and it’s opened up my schedule for a more diverse set of activities, I have to say…I’m ready to have my books and articles and quotable images back again!