Pondering the Future

So, readers, my little summer break is almost over.  My new class starts next week (LIS 415: Information Organization).  As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, it’s an online class again and I’m excited to start.  I am a little bit ambivalent about the shorter timeframe, but I’m really excited about the topic and I’ve already started in on the reading. 

Over the past few weeks I’ve been pondering my future a lot.  Currently, I’m doing the Archives Management concentration within the MS in Library and Information Science program.  Even though I’m near the beginning of the program and am still taking my core classes, I can’t help but wonder whether or not the Archives Management track is right for me and if I should instead be doing the design-your-own option.  I’ve been doing a lot of informal networking lately, and through my discussions with other librarians I’ve started to think about what I really want to do with my life once I graduate from Simmons, and if archives will play a role in that.  I started to think about this when doing course planning and seeing all of the awesome LIS classes Simmons has to offer and trying to pick what electives I’d want to take in the future.  It’s just so hard to choose as all of the classes sound so fascinating.  On one hand, I don’t think I’ll fully know whether or not archives are for me until I actually take an archives class.  I don’t think I could go wrong either way, but I feel I’ll miss out on something great, whether it be some amazing electives or archives classes, no matter what I choose.  But, this is the time to figure out what I want.  Right now, I work in an academic library as a reference assistant and I love it, so maybe academic libraries are my future!  Maybe something completely different!  Who knows what the future could hold for me- but the one thing I do know is that I’m going to love each and every class I’m going to take at Simmons. 

If you want to learn more about the course offerings at SLIS click here.