Online Classes

Simmons SLIS has a variety of ways you can take classes.  They offer classes on the ground at the Boston campus, SLIS West (South Hadley, MA), and the Eric Carle Museum (Amherst, MA), blended classes with some sessions on the ground and some online, and fully online classes. The flexibility in class scheduling is something that is unique to Simmons and was one of the factors that helped me select Simmons as the place to get my graduate degree. 

As I mentioned in my first blog post, I am going the online route this semester.  One of the great things about taking online classes is that you can do it from anywhere.  Well, anywhere that has a Wi-Fi connection that is.

One of the reasons why I decided to go to school online was because I am new to Massachusetts and I wasn’t sure if I could get from my home, which is about 20 miles outside of Boston, to classes in Boston in the snow.  The way the past few weeks have gone, with several nor’easters in a short amount of time, I’m not sure I could have gotten to Boston and back with all of the fallen trees and power outages.  I’m getting more used to the snow and I now know my way around the public transportation system, but I still think doing online was the way to go for my first semester. 

Another reason why I chose to take online classes this semester is because I’m planning on going to California for a wedding and staying to visit with family for a while afterwards.  I’m leaving tomorrow (fingers crossed!) and the flexibility of the online classes is the only reason why I am even able to attend.  As I said before, online classes give you the ability to do your work from anywhere that has a Wi-Fi connection, so it can be incredibly convenient and accessible.