Events and Banned Books

This week has been a busy week for Student Associations: Panopticon held two meetings (I went to both! They let me decorate cookies!), SCOSSA had a brown bag lunch with Dr. Sheffield who is so interesting, SCIRRT had their welcome meeting, and UXPA also hosted a welcome meeting.

However, several associations hosted events with a specific theme in mind: Banned Books Week. Every librarian, archivist, and book lover knows and adores banned books week. We get to leave our caves and shout about our love for the books that have been banned–

Wait, that’s not what we did.

ASIS&T hosted a Banned Books, Intellectual Freedom and Censorship panel Monday night (here’s a link to watch it!I recommend doing so!), where two professors and two of Beatley Library’s librarians came to discuss topics relating to censorship in archives, Banned Books Week, and so much more. AMIA hosted a screening of Perks of Being a Wallflower (the movie version of a book banned in a Connecticut School System) with a discussion following.

PLG, SoCS and ALA-SC have all banded together with the Beatley Library to promote Banned Books Week all week long as well. PLG wants you to Declare your love for Banned Books at the Library, and talk about why you love them on a poster board. SoCS have helped put on a scavenger hunt across campus, drawing on both the graduate and undergraduate students to raise awareness about Banned Books. ALA-SC wants you to Get Caught reading your favorite banned book and snap a photo at their photo-booth.

All of these events are so cool and inventive, from the panel to the photo booth, and I haven’t been able to make it to any of them. But here’s a picture of my cookie decorating skills, I guess.

pealer-10-3.jpg