Planning for the Big Apple

I’ve now lived on the East Coast for two years, and I have just loved it! Being from the Midwest, I’ve always been drawn to the history and culture available out here. I’ve tried so many new foods, learned to deftly navigate public transportation, and taken in quite a few shows, recitals, and art exhibits. But there is one thing I have sworn to do before I move away, and this weekend I’ll finally get my chance to do it!

My roommate and I are neck-deep in the final planning stage of our first trip to New York City together! We’ve both been before, but it’s been quite some time since either of us has gone, so we are more than ready to get back to the energy of that wonderful city! I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t take advantage of Boston’s proximity to NYC while I was out here, so this trip is coming just in time (as I’m finishing up school and heading for home in May!)

Because my roommate has the most wonderful cousins on earth, we will have a free place to crash while we are there. Yay! And because these cousins are New York natives, we will have the best tour guides to the hidden gems the city has to offer. I don’t know much about what we’re going to be doing/seeing, but I can’t wait to see New York through the eyes of a real New Yorker!

One thing I DO know I’ll be doing is taking in as many shows as I possibly can. Thanks to the wonderful treat that is Student Rush tickets, I’m hoping to see three shows over the two days we’ll be there (without breaking my grad student budget). I am probably most excited about seeing the new revival of Fiddler on the Roof, starring Danny Burstein! This is my favorite show (an oldie, but a goody), but I’ve never gotten the chance to see it live. And if the reviews I’ve been reading are any indication, this is the version to see!

We’ll also be going to a place called The Chocolate Room, as it has become a tradition between my roommate and her cousin each time she visits. All I know about this place is that they have the best hot chocolate on the face of the earth…nuf said, I’m sold!

Now that we’re just a few days away, I’m really getting antsy to get going! But first I have to pack. Tell me, what does one pack for two days in a city that involve heavy walking, evening theater, and temperatures ranging from 40-(possibly) 70 degrees? I’m not sure of the answer either, but I have two days to figure it out. Lots to do before we head out, so I’m going to end this post here. But be sure to check back in next week when I’ll share pics and highlights from what I know is going to be an awesome trip!!!