I Wish the Weather Would Make Up Its Mind

If you live anywhere in the Boston area, your Facebook feed has undoubtedly been filled with posts about the snow this last week. Either you are an incredulous new-comer to the unpredictability of New England springs or you are a hardened Bostonian, saddened by the reality of snow in April. But now, as I look outside, it’s pouring down rain. The snow is mostly melted, and I am seeing flowers and buds again. Later this week it’s supposed to be sunny and almost 60 degrees…before next weekend’s potential for snow again. However you feel about the weather, I think we can all agree that Boston needs to get it together and make up its mind! I could even get behind snow if I knew it was going to be around for a set amount of time and then be done! I just don’t like all this switching…it’s messing up my outfit planning, my reading selections, even my Panera ordering. After all, who wants to eat a salad when it’s 20 degrees outside? So, to help you all out (who I’m sure are having the same difficulties as I am), I have compiled three food and book pairings (like food and wine, but better), one for every possible type of seasonal weather. This way, no matter what you wake up to outside your window, you’ll be prepared for the two most important parts of the day.

Warm and Sunny

On a bright day that actually looks like spring, I would suggest a juicy hamburger (perfect picnic fare) and some fresh fruit (strawberries have been on my mind lately, but feel free to pick your favorite). As for reading materials, I would recommend Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, which tells the beautiful tale of a pivotal summer cross-country road trip.

Caskey_4-8.jpgCaskey2_4-8.jpg

Blustery and Rainy

On days like this, nothing will do but soup and hot chocolate. Cuddle up on the couch with a mug of each (bonus points for a fire in the fireplace), and take a trip back to childhood with the classic rainy-day book, The Cat in the Hat. I re-read this for a class recently and was surprised by 1) how long it actually is, and 2) how funny it is, even today! 

Caskey3_4-8.jpg.gif

Caskey4_4-8.jpg

Caskey5_4-8.jpg

Snow…cursed snow!

I hope, for all our sakes’, that you won’t have to make use of these suggestions until next December, but it never hurts to be prepared. So, if you wake up to a white world outside one morning, pre-heat the oven and start making some warm cinnamon buns. Even if they are from the Pillsbury can, they make the house smell wonderfully cozy! And while you wait for them to bake, distract yourself from eating all the icing by reading (or re-reading) Lois Lowry’s The Giver. Besides being a beautiful piece of literature, it might help you find some small glimmer of thankfulness for the snow outside (better to feel cold than not feel at all, am I right?).

Caskey6_4-8.jpgCaskey7_4-8.jpg