Playing the Hostess

I am so excited because it is finally March! This means that spring has sprung (kind of), Spring Break is just around the river bend, and my mom is coming to visit from Minnesota!!!!!!! This will be the first time since moving me out here two years ago that my mom has been to Boston, and now that I’m settled I finally get to introduce her to my life on the East Coast. But how does one even begin to narrow down the huge list of possible activities, restaurants, and sites Boston has to offer when their guest is only going to be here for two full days?!

Well, it’s taken quite a bit of list making and revising, but I think I’ve finally decided. So, without further ado, here are my Top 5 Things to See in Boston.

1)      Faneuil Hall

This old state building turned shopping center is a great hub of activity to check out. There are usually street performers in the courtyard outside, and the building has that charming and historic look that you think of when you think “American Revolution.” Also, as the State House is just across the street, you can kill two birds with one stone and see the balcony from which the Declaration of Independence was first read as well!

By the way, the marketplace also has a gigantic corridor of the best food options ever! You can find everything from cannoli to calzones, but I would strongly recommend the clam chowder served in bread bowls. A true Boston classic!

casky_3-4a.jpg                     casky_3-4b.jpg

2)      Boston Public Library/ Copley Square

Being a student of literature, I have a soft spot in my heart for a good library, and BPL’s main branch in Copley Square is certainly worthy of that description. From the minute I walk into the lobby I am awestruck at the beautiful and ornate architecture. And I of course have to show my mom the new children’s reading room they built (complete with two lion cub statues to mimic the lions that guard the main staircase).

casky_3-4c.jpg          casky_3-4d.jpg

3)      Burdick’s Chocolate

While we’re in Copley Square, we are definitely going to make a stop at Burdick’s Chocolate. Y’all! This place has the best hot chocolate I have ever had EVER!!! If what they serve is really hot chocolate, then I’ve been drinking lies my whole life! Just get a small one, though…that is MORE than enough! (Plus, the shop looks like a cottage from one of Grimm’s fairy tales!)

casky_3-4e.jpg

4)      The docks by the Charles River 

This spot is a secret gem one of my dear friends introduced me to last spring. When the weather is nice, it is so peaceful to bring a picnic lunch down to the docks and just sit and listen to the water. You might spot some rowers out on the river or some runners jogging along the river. Fingers crossed it will be nice enough to do give this a try when my mom’s here!

casky_3-4f.jpg 

5)      Zaftigs Delicatessen

If you’re looking for the best brunch in Boston, look no further than Zaftigs! Family-owned and absolutely adorable, they specialize in Jewish deli fare, but my favorite things there can be found on their all-day breakfast menu! The banana walnut-stuffed French toast with fig butter is enough to make you cry! And the free bagels and cream cheese don’t hurt either! Zaftigs has played host to two Galentine’s Day celebrations during my time in Boston, and it is probably my favorite restaurant in the city (big talk, I know).

casky_3-4g.jpg                    casky_3-4h.jpg   

So now you know what my mom and I will be doing this weekend! And if you have any visitors on the calendar, swing by a few of these places if you get the chance! Totally worth it!