Finished with Flying Colors

I officially finished every assignment for this semester on Tuesday, and I’m currently only waiting on one grade to find out my GPA for my first semester in Library Science School, in order to humble brag on Facebook. I’ve returned all my books, organized all my notes, and printed the last thing I’ll print for this semester.

And as exciting as that is (Yay! I’m done!) I can’t say that this hasn’t been a whirlwind semester. I’m still getting used to public transit, I keep forgetting to do my laundry, and the world of library science is much larger and cooler than I expected. I can definitely say I’m happy with where I am.

With the first semester winding down, some of my friends and I were talking about why we chose Simmons. For most of my friends, who are archives students, the scale was easily weighted in favor of Simmons because it’s the number one school for archives in the nation. Another friend said that she decided to go to Simmons because of the weather–she could handle snow, but her other option had mudslides, and she wasn’t up for that.  We all talked about how crazy lucky we all were that we decided to go to the same school, at the same time, where we got to meet each other and do awesome things.

Looking back, it seems kind of obvious that I would end up at Simmons. I had a set criteria when looking for LIS programs. Number one, any potential school had be in the Northeast. I’m a New Englander born and bred, and I love the area. Two, it had to be an accredited program. And three, I had to want to go there. I couldn’t shrug and say “i guess i can get my degree there”. It had to be a place I would love going to every day.

Simmons achieved all of those with flying colors, and I’m glad to say that my first semester has made me even more certain that I made the right choice. I’ve met amazing people, made wonderful friends, and learned and done the most interesting things.

That’s a pretty good feeling. So, to all of you finishing off your finals and looking towards the future, good luck and have fun!