The Joys of Co-Working

“If you have a friend you like to spend time with, but also want them to have their dreams to come true, co-work. Accomplish your dreams together.”–Hannah Hart

One of the biggest problems I find myself facing when I’m trying to complete schoolwork is the fact that I let myself decide that I’m not in the right mood to get anything done. I could be in a sleepy mood, and who wants to work then? Or I could be too awake to do work. Or none of the Spotify stations are playing music which I can get work done to.  When I don’t ‘feel’ like getting work done, I can have a million and one excuses.

Now, as a lot of people know, one of the fixes for this is to set up a space where you get work done. Now, I don’t know about anyone else, but, although I love my apartment, it’s small. My desk has a mix of school books, scarves and bills on it. It’s not, currently, a friendly workspace.

Another, faster fix is to co-work. Co-working is when you work with your friends or group partners on assignments or other work to create an environment where you accomplish your goals. You get to be around other people who inspire you, and, better still, you get work done within a set schedule of hours. You know that you only have from 1-4 to work on something, and that builds a schedule for you to complete things.

So, for the past few months, I’ve arranged ‘co-working’ meet-ups with a couple friends because there’s something really motivating about being in the same room as other people who are really passionate and also want to get work done. I’ve been able to write papers, get ahead on assignments, and do research while spending time with people I admire and enjoy being around.

So, since it’s the last few weeks of school, I propose everyone try to fit a co-working session into their semester. I know that I’m going to!