Star Struck at the Horn Book Awards

I think by now we can all agree that the SLIS programs at Simmons are pretty amazing. The small class sizes, the tight community, and the easy access to so many resources in and around Boston…all huge plusses. But, if you still need a bit more convincing, let me just say this…the Boston Globe Horn Book Awards! OK, the mere sound of these words may not make you jump and squeal like a schoolgirl (like they do me), but allow me to elaborate, and you will soon see why this is just the best. School. EVER!

The Horn Book Magazine was founded in 1924 and is still one of the premiere publications in the field of children’s literature, with a fun mix of academic articles, book reviews, and editorial comments. Spawning out of this publication’s outstanding reputation, the annual Boston Globe Horn Book Awards work to recognize excellence in three categories of children’s literature: picture books, fiction, and nonfiction. And, because of Simmons’ close partnership with The Horn Book, guess where the awards are held each year?! That’s right! And, as a SLIS student, guess who gets free admission to the awards ceremony?! Right again!

This year was my second time attending, and I am always amazed by the authors’ total willingness to share their lives on the pages of their books. For example, Marla Frazee, author and illustrator of this year’s picture book winner, The Farmer and the Clown, spoke about the turbulent period in her marriage out of which the book’s central themes of connectedness and the importance of family emerged. She was just lovely…(tear-jerker alert)!

(If you haven’t read The Farmer in the Clown, stop reading this and go do that instead! Seriously…I’ll wait)

Casky_10-9a.jpg

(Image source: http://www.amazon.com/Farmer-Notable-Childrens-Younger-Readers/dp/1442497440)

But besides the inspiring and hilarious speeches from the winners, the best part about the ceremony is the social hour afterwards. The biggest names in the children’s lit world, the authors we all love,and us students all get to mingle together, sharing stories and talking books. Plus, the authors are all set up for book signings too!!! (Cue starry-eyed wonderment)

Casky_10-9b.jpg(Image source: https://emilykazakh.wordpress.com/tag/rapunzel/)

So, have I convinced you? I hope you will check it out next year! It’s not to be missed!