A Checklist for the Perfect Coffee Shop

Being from Minnesota, I do not handle the heat well. Give me -40 degrees and I am perfectly capable of layering up and venturing out into the tundra, but when it’s hot, as it has been here the last few weeks, I find my energy and motivation slowly wilting away.

So, when last week saw the emergence of the pumpkin spice latte at various coffee shops around the city, I was ecstatic because I knew it could only mean one thing…fall is near!

Any literature or library student worth their salt knows the importance of finding the perfect coffee shop. It provides the necessary atmosphere for contemplative writing, critical reading, and people watching when you Just. Can’t. Read. One. More. Article. But what exactly makes for the perfect coffee shop? When I first came to Boston, I set out to find my regular study spot but found it difficult to narrow down my search, given the enormous selection around the city. I will include my checklist of must-haves here, for those of you new to the coffee shop hunt, in hopes of making your life just a bit easier…

• Must serve warm beverages (I would say “coffee”, but I am actually more of a chai girl myself, so I care less about the selection and more about the temperature)
  • Must smell like coffee (Regardless of what I’m drinking, I love that delicious roasted aroma)
  • Pastries are a plus (Sometimes you need a scone to get you through that final paper, and there’s nothing worse than having to pack up all your gear to go hunt for a morsel elsewhere)
  • An abundance of accessible outlets is helpful (Particularly for someone like me whose computer battery is very plug-in dependent)
  • Convenient location (Winter in Boston is not the time for trekking several blocks to a coffee shop while lugging a backpack and computer)

And finally…

• It should feel like a second home (Kind staff, pleasant customers, and working fireplaces go a long way in making this happen)

For those out there who have already staked their claim on their favorite coffee shop, I offer a hearty “Congratulations!” And for those still searching, don’t worry, you’ve got a while until the truly chilly weather kicks in. Keep hunting diligently, and I’m sure your perfect place is just around the next corner.

And until the weather starts cooperating with the season, enjoy your pumpkin spice iced!

Blessings,

Katie