Making the Most of Boston

Before moving out here, I was too stressed out by the moving process to even think about many things to do in Boston. When I got here, I was dedicated to my classes and getting back home at a somewhat reasonable hour since I was used to an 8 minute commute and had to transition to an hour commute.

However, with two friends moving out here, and my growing irritation at cool things happening without my knowledge, I’ve tried to be more adventurous over the last few weeks.

I tried to go to a signing for Marie Rutkowski, author of the amazing Winner’s Trilogy, but alas her plane was cancelled.

I did go to the Harvard Museum of Natural History and the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. For being in relatively small buildings (think a traditionally sized college campus building), they both had extensive collections. I particularly appreciated the glass flowers in the HMNH and the first level of exhibits in the Peabody. I hope that the Peabody receives funding to remodel their other two floors!

I even went out on St. Patrick’s Day! We went to Ned Devine’s, which I was informed by two separate people is “touristy”. Alas, I’ll never grow into a true Bostonian. But I still managed to have a couple pints of Guinness and enjoy some great food and music.

Today, I’m going to the MIT Communications Forum where Kristin Cashore, author of Graceling and fellow Simmons alum, will be discussing the prevalence of dystopias in young adult literature.

With my focus on school, I occasionally forget all the cool opportunities available to me simply by living near Boston. I want to take advantage of my time here. I have no idea where I’ll end up when I graduate because I have no idea what kind of job I’ll find. Hopefully, I’ll remember to keep track of all the neat events and places around me.

Know of something cool coming up in Boston? Let me know in the comments! I’d love to see you there!