Productivity and the Spring

How is it already Spring semester?

I feel like the break just flew by, and to be honest, I didn’t even really do that much!

I volunteered a couple of times. I had my book club meet. I read ten books or so. I watched a lot of movies. I watched an entire season of Scandal, and Cousins on Call. (I watch an honestly embarrassing amount of television shows.)

But I didn’t really do that much.

I have the hardest time compelling myself to do things if I’m not busy. If I have a whole bunch of things happening, I manage to get a whole lot of things done. But if I’m completely free all day–I do absolutely nothing. Well, I don’t stare at the wall. I read stuff online. I spend a lot of time on Tumblr or twitter. I watch a lot of TV.  But I feel like once the semester starts again, I’m more productive. Of course, there’s always the initial confusion of trying to get back into the swing of things, but once the first week or two passes, I feel so much better about life.

I know that people typically do resolutions at the turn of the year, but I think it’s vital to constantly be thinking about ways in which I can be a better person. Thus, one of the things I’m trying to be better at is being productive outside the bounds of school. For me, because I’m mostly interested in YA and children’s books, this means reading a lot of that genre. It means keeping a different blog where I can talk about the books I read and the reasons I love YA books so much. It means doing more than just hanging out.

I don’t want to be a workaholic, but I kind of think I might just have that type of personality.

What do you do when you have free time? Is it as important to you to stay busy as it is to me?

Either way, welcome back to another semester.

All the best–

Hayley