Just like they said in class!

Yesterday, at work, there was a dilemma.  It was a fairly sticky issue, and had multiple perspectives and points.  (I know, you’re rolling your eyes, thinking: what kind of crazy problem could there be in a Children’s Department?  Just take my word for it.)  As the librarians debated how to handle the situation, reviewing library policy, professional ethics, and good sense, I said “This is exactly the type of thing we discussed in my 401 class!  I can’t believe things the professors teach us actually happen in a real library!”

Actually, I can believe it.  The SLIS program is a professional degree, and the focus is on teaching the skills we need for a particular job.  Our professors know what employers are looking for, and they make sure that we’re exposed to the practical, applicable parts of library science.  We learn how to handle problems, use particular skills, and take what we’ve learned and apply it to different situations.  We are getting a top notch education that can be put to work in the field right away.

Thank you, my first semester professors.  I really appreciate what you taught us this fall, and I look forward to the rest of my classes at SLIS.