New Year, New Semester, Already So Much To Do

Well, the truth can be denied no longer; my second semester at Simmons has officially begun. As of 9am this morning, I became a student once again, putting an end to my month-long academic hiatus. Sure, I will miss the luxury of being able to sleep in past 7am and not have to worry about finishing all my homework before the weekend, but I know that its high time I get back to focusing on my academics. After all, I have a lot to look forward to this semester. For example, I will have not one, but two night classes this year, something that I am both dreading and excited about.  Additionally, I have my first history course to look forward to, representing my first step towards completing my dual degree. But classes at Simmons are not all that I excited about. You see, right before I went home to celebrate the winter holidays, I went into Fenway High for a job interview. While I’ll be the first to admit that I did not land the job, I walked away from the experience with something just as good: an internship working in the school’s archives. Yes, you read that correctly, a school archive. Now, I’ve heard of academic libraries featuring archives, but never a school library. The internship starts Thursday so I cannot wait to come back and report on what exactly makes a school archive tick.

But wait, there’s more!!!!!!  As of last Friday, I have officially become a contributing member of INALJ.com (I Need A Library Job). What does this mean? Every week, I volunteer a few hours to checking a list of different job databases for career opportunities within the world of LIS. After I have my list, I email it off to my editor who posts it on the site. So far it has been a lot of fun, especially when I come across job opportunities that someday soon, I myself could apply for. If you have never been to INALJ.com, I suggest stopping by, it’s definitely worth checking out. There is a lot more there than just job postings.  Keep in mind, INALJ.com doesn’t just focus on library jobs in the New England area. What really makes this site a gem is the fact that is has job postings for the US, Canada, and a number of international countries.

All in all, this semester seems like its going to be awesome, hectic, enlightening, and exhausting. Although I know that when push comes to shove, I have it within myself to reach down deep and channel my inner all-star student though at this moment, I can’t help but wonder how I am going to juggle all of this without going insane. Well, I guess I’ll just have to find out.