Where were you 50 years ago?

My answer to this question would be nowhere, my mother was six and my father was thirteen so I was not even a thought fifty years ago. Despite their young ages both my parents remember exactly where they were, and so do the majority of patrons walking into the library today. The mood is really interesting as each patron sees our book display and instantly starts to reflect about where they were and how they felt when President John F. Kennedy was shot.

With all the media buildup to the anniversary of this infamous day I have become somewhat desensitized and didn’t give any thought into how I would feel on the actual day. I’m so interested to hear more stories as the day goes on and to reflect on how one event changed our country’s history. Working with the public every day as many pros and a few cons, today the pros most certainly outweigh any cons. Today I am so grateful to get to work in an environment where I can learn more about our history through listening to the memories of people in my community.

All Americans know this quote, and those working with the public can certainly relate, so I think it is only fitting to conclude with some of JFK’s most famous words, “My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” Have a wonderful weekend and take some time to listen to those around you with lots of interesting life experience to share.