Chillin’ with my Professors

Friday afternoon I spent thirty minutes with a professor, then went to the office next door and met with another professor. This was the second of my five planned trips to campus this semester, and was a nice change from my mostly virtual class schedule. First I chewed the fat with my de facto advisor, then had a one-on-one introductory meeting with the professor for my online course. The meeting was far from introductory, however, as last fall I had a face-to-face class with that same professor. Our meeting ended up being more of a “how are things going?” rather than “hi, nice to meet you” encounter. I was with professors, who are officially my superiors, but it almost felt like hanging out with friends.

Don’t worry, I have no plans to start ditching my friends to spend time with professors, but it was great to spend a bit of time with professors outside of class. It’s easy to get lost in a whirlwind of classes and homework and forget that professors are people, not machines programmed to disseminate information and give grades. I have found that it is important to have a relationship with professors, and not in the goody two-shoes, teacher’s pet sort of way. As much as I have learned from professors in class, I have also received advice and guidance from them outside of class.

Despite all the discussions, group projects, and online forums that are part of each and every class, I have occasionally felt that I am going through GSLIS alone. But when it comes down to it, professors want the best for every student and are there for support. I have been in professors’ offices to ask questions about assignments, talk about internships, seek curriculum and career advice, and just to chat. I would not recommend trying to become besties with all of your professors, but fostering a relationship with one or two is truly invaluable. Don’t forget that relationships take work, although it might prove to be some of the most worthwhile work you do at GSLIS.