Time Flies When You’re Having Fun

It seems like only yesterday I was starting my first day at GSLIS.  This semester has flown by and left me invigorated to learn more.  All four classes I took this semester have reassured me that the GSLIS program is absolutely the right place for me and I can’t wait to see what the future holds.

I started this semester with no friends in the program, very little knowledge of the library profession, and no specific academic focus.  Only a few months later, I am finishing my first semester with good grades in all my classes (fingers crossed!), a great group of friends, and a decision to focus on public libraries. When I first started classes in January, I had no idea how much my life was about to change. I leave for Rome in just under a month and could not be more excited.

In addition to taking three classes in the fall and continuing to write for this blog, I have also accepted a leadership position in a student organization. I have been elected to the position of Information Coordinator for the ALA-SC (that is, American Library Association Student Chapter) and look forward to learning more about what this position entails. As excited as I am for the fall semester, I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself because this summer promises a lot of wonderful adventures as well.  A few things include:

• Continuing my European travels in Slovakia after the Rome program ends. I will be visiting a friend I haven’t seen since high school!
  • Attending the American Library Association Annual Conference in Chicago with some of my fabulous classmates.
  • Working at home in Vermont for the Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Historic Park.
  • Volunteering in my local public library.
  • Catching up on my long list of must reads.     

In other words, I cannot wait to get this summer started! GSLIS has inspired me to get out of my comfort zone and embrace this entire experience and I plan to keep doing just that!