Ladies and Gentlemen…the lovely and talented Nicole Giroux

I have come across many fascinating people during my time in the GSLIS program. The majority of these awesome people turn out to be from the dual degree program. So I can’t help but want to get inside their brains. Seriously, what’s in the water in the Children’s Literature department? Is there an awesome ratio they require upon acceptance? They are sharp, creative and fiercely brilliant. Seriously, don’t cross a dual degree student. And with that, I present Miss Nicole Giroux from the dual degree Children’s Literature program.

Q: If you could be a character in any book who would you be?

A: Oh, sure, start with an easy question! This is so torturous to have to choose. I’ve gotta go with Hermione Granger (do I even need to say what she’s from?!). I could certainly use her time turner and magical skills. Besides, she’s named after a Shakespearean character and is an intelligent and strong female. What’s not to love? Though, I must admit, I totally identify as a Ravenclaw instead of a Gryffindor.

Q: What’s been the most exciting part about being in the dual degree program so far?

A: The most exciting part of being in the dual degree program has been being able to approach children’s librarianship from two distinct disciplines. It’s so wonderful to be able to really dive into children’s literature, but it’s also great to have the practical side of learning about managing a collection, planning programs, etc. I really feel like I am being so prepared for my future work as a teen librarian. It’s also been awesome to meet so many great people! I have good friends in the children’s lit and GSLIS programs, and it’s nice to be able to connect with others in both fields.

Q: If you had your ‘druthers how would you spend your days?

A: I was totally talking about this with someone earlier! If I could, I would love to focus more on my crafting and really get my steampunk jewelry, hair, and fashion accessories out there. My spare time would be filled with drinking tea, reading novels, playing Arkham Horror, and volunteering for various organizations (a library of course being one of them!).

Q: What has been your favorite LIS class so far? 

A: My favorite LIS course so far was Young Adult Literature (obvs!). I love YA lit and it was exciting to read from a wide range of genres that I might not have read on my own, especially nonfiction. In terms of general LIS courses, my favorite so far was probably Reference (LIS 407) , though I also really enjoyed Information Organization (LIS 415). They were certainly some of the more challenging courses I’ve had, but I loved the hands-on practical experience I got from both. While I don’t plan on going too deeply into reference or cataloging in my career, learning the basics of each of these aspects of librarianship was essential for truly understanding what we ultimately do: organize information to make it more easily accessible.

Q: If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

A: Oooh, this is a tough one – there are really so many great superpowers! I think I would have to go with teleportation. Being able to travel quickly and cheaply would be quite the change of pace for me!