13-21 of 36

I’ve been spending so much time lately writing about the work I’ve been doing for my classes and the random things that have nothing to do with my classes that I have neglected to talk about, well, my classes. And aren’t classes the reason that I’m here? And why you’re considering coming here? So, without further ado, let me tell you about my classes!
Mondays, 9am-noon – LIS 404; Principles of Management
A core class, one that everyone must take. The idea behind the class is that people who obtain an LIS degree may very well end up in a management position within a library, so the course is about different management approaches and how those approaches might be applicable for different people in different library settings. Going into GSLIS, I never considered myself as a potential manager (frankly, I am much better at being told what to do rather than delegating), but this course has opened my eyes to the fact that someday I may be bossing people around. And I mean that in the most friendly, fun-loving-boss way possible…
Thursdays, 9am-noon – LIS 465; Knowledge Management
Knowledge management. Huh? Well, I know, it seems vague. And, as far as I can tell, a concrete definition does not exist. The idea behind the concept of “knowledge management” is that knowledge should be regarded as an asset within an organization, and it must be managed and maintained as such. I am taking this course because I am interested in corporate/special libraries, and knowledge management often serves as a competitive advantage in those settings. Within the realm of knowledge management, there are many different models and frameworks and ideas that can be applied to…wait what, I’m losing you? No seriously, I swear, it really is interesting. Definitely my favorite class this semester.
Fridays, 9am-noon – LIS 415; Information Organization
A core class, another one that everyone must take. The idea behind this class is that all items in libraries are cataloged, so all librarians should learn how to catalog. The course just skims the surface of the cataloging world, and if you become totally hooked there are additional electives you can take to become a champion cataloger. So far, we have learned about the history and current standards of cataloging. Last week, we learned how to catalog an actual book! Sounds, like, totally librarian-ish, but how else would anyone ever find anything in a library?
So those three courses account for credits 13-21 of the 36 credits that it will take for me to graduate. Stay tuned next week for a retrospective account of credits 1-12 from last semester!