Simmons Perks!

With the end of the semester just around the corner, everyone is predictably buried under end of the semester papers, projects, and group work. I know for myself, the mammoth practicum binder that SLT students must submit at the end of both of their practicum experiences has begun to infiltrate my dreams. My respite is delving into the stack of dark and depressing books I have chosen for my youth programming materials talk in two weeks time. But if you have some spare time, or you simply want to take a break, why not take advantage of that little blue card in your wallet? Yes, that one. The one that says “Simmons College” on it? There’s probably a very unflattering picture of you beneath the logo? Yes, that blue card.
You may not realize it, but that Simmons ID card gets you two rather nice perks. You see, Simmons is located right in the midst of two of America’s finest museums: the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (which you can literally see out of some of the GSLIS classrooms on Palace Road). Both museums have opened new wings in the past year and a half, both feature excellent collections of art, and both are free with your Simmons ID card.
You read that right: free. Sweeter words were never heard to a poor graduate student’s ears, especially when regular admission at both museums can get pricey rather quickly. All you need is a current sticker on the back of your card (available from the campus card office in the MCB), and you’re good to go.
So one of these days, when you’d like to remind yourself that there is a world beyond programming and materials talks, when you’d like to escape from your final reference project or the intricacies of LOC cataloguing, use that ID and go immerse yourself in a different world for a few hours. You won’t regret it.