New Bloggers and Posts On Their Way!

As you can see, besides Jason’s post last week, it’s been a little while since we’ve had some regular bloggers on here. Sorry for our lapse! But, I promise to bring you some new reading in the coming weeks. I thought I’d get things started for now, but rest assured, there will be new posts to read and topics to discuss on a regular basis!
My name is Katie Sallade, and I started attending GSLIS in the fall. I’m enrolled in the Archives dual-degree program with History and Library Science. The transition has been great thus far, although it definitely was not the easiest move I’ve made in my life. I’m from Harrisburg, PA, so it took about seven hours to drive to Boston and then the unpacking and such began. But the hardest part was actually finding a place to live. I opted to live off-campus in the hopes of feeling less like an undergrad and more like an independent woman. I had a housing situation lined up and then one of the girls decided to take a job in Chicago and I was back to square one. Luckily, I utilized Craigslist postings and found a great place in Brighton. I was completely nervous about using the site, but I skyped with my new roommates before I left and my boyfriend also went to meet them in person before I made the move as well. Thank goodness for technology! Without skype and advertising sites like Craigslist, I’d probably be crashing on a couch somewhere…

Despite the hardships, I love my new roommates and I love this city! There are always things to do – concerts to see, record stores to visit, not to mention awesome used book stores. My favorite find so far: the New England Mobile Book Fair. I could spend days in this place. However, if you’re going to visit, make sure you know the publishers of the books you want to find. Everything is organized by publisher. Even if you don’t, there are usually plenty of workers walking around to help you find something.
Until next time.